Asbestos kills steel worker

0
Have your say

A RETIRED steel worker died as a result of industrial disease brought on by exposure to asbestos in the work place, an inquest heard.

William Gill, 68, was found dead sat in a chair with a bottle of whisky at his Beacon Park Holiday Village home, Skegness, on February 9.

A statement from his daughter Sharon Vanes was read at the hearing at Lincoln Cathedral Centre last week. She explained that Mr Gill had worked with forge hammers covered in asbestos, which produced a toxic dust when they impacted with the metal being fashioned.

He had retired early due to his deteriorating health and received a disability pension from the owners of the steel works.

Mr Gill required a constant supply of oxygen as a result of his asbestos related illness.

A postmortem conducted by Keith Robson on February 14 at the Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham, attributed Mr Gill’s death to bronchial pneumonia by asbestosis.

Coroner Stuart Fisher recorded a verdict of death as a result of industrial disease.