World’s greatest breakfast spots: Barcelona, Dubai, London and...Skegness!
A Michelin starred chef from Skegness has listed a humble cafe in his old hometown as one of the world’s greatest breakfast spots.
Windy’s Cafe on Drummond Road featured alongside glamorous restaurants in London, Barcelona and Dubai as some of Jason Atherton’s favourite places to have breakfast.
In a feature for The Telegraph, the award-winning restaurateur, said: “I’ve been going there for years, along with everyone else in Skegness.
“It’s a proper greasy spoon so there’s no messing around, just three types of fried breakfast: little, large and builders’.
“The builders’ has everything: black pudding, fried bread, two eggs, two rashers of bacon, two sausages, tomatoes, beans... You name it, it’s on there.
“You won’t need to eat for the rest of the day.”
Cafe owner Paul ‘Windy’ Windle says he was ‘gobsmacked’ when a customer showed him the newspaper and has been boasting about it ever since.
He said: “We are just a little cafe from Skegness so to get worldwide recognition is a great thing, not just for us but for Skegness as well.”
Despite having heard of the famous chef, who is also a regular guest on the BBC’s Saturday Kitchen, Paul says he was treated just like any other customer.
“I know he was a local lad but I’ve never recognised him, so he didn’t get any special treatment,” he said.
“We appreciate our regular customers and are known as a local cafe and the holidaymakers tend to come back each year.”
The family run cafe was set up by Paul and his wife Trudi, 11 years ago this day (February 14) and has continually strived to produce good honest food at a reasonable price.
The couple’s two sons Ashely and Thomas also work at the cafe and together, Paul says they are very happy with the business.
Paul hopes the culinary star’s glowing reference will bring a boost to their trade, even if he misnamed the menu’s full monty as a builders’ breakfast.
“We’ll just change the menu to suit,” said Paul.
- UPDATED: Suspected ‘armed robbery’ with ‘gun’ sparks police ‘firearms response’ at The Money Shop in Skegness
- UPDATE: Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with attempted ‘armed robbery’ in Skegness, man searched in Lidl is NOT connected to the crime police confirm
- UPDATE: Business owner heard someone thought to be ‘robbing’ the Money Shop in Skegness
- Man caught staring at female dog walker while he performed ‘indecent act’ in Skegness
- Man arrested and interviewed in connection with attempted robbery in Skegness
- NHS urges norovirus sufferers to stay away from Skegness Hospital
- ‘Kitchen knife’ found in Butlins bar after alleged ‘attack’
- Artists sought for exchange
- Skegness Scooter Rally leaves town buzzing
- Nottinghamshire sexsomniac cleared of raping 21-year-old at Butlin’s, Ingoldmells, in one of the first cases of its kind
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Skegness
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 20 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 12 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east