THE Northcote Heavy Horse Centre’s final Medieval Tournament of the summer season is set to take place this Sunday (August 19).
And organisers are hopeful that the dizzying array of period action and entertainment will prove a winner with the public as they look to raise vital funds.
The centre has endured a very hard time of late, with the double-dip recession and the early summer deluge hitting fundraising hard.
It has left the charity’s vital work caring for large and small horses under threat.
Terena Bolam, volunteer centre manager, said: “We need to buy in some hay for the winter, which will cost us over £5,000.”
“At the moment we don’t have anywhere near that sort of money but we are hoping that this last event will raise us at least £1,000 to put towards the bill.
“Our volunteers work very hard to try and keep improving our events and for this one we will see new horses being brought out to try their hand at skill at arms, as well as the experienced horses, who will be doing their own form of jousting.
“We will once again be joined by Lincoln Castle’s falconer, Derek Tindall, with his birds of prey.
“He is great and allows the audience to hold the birds too.
“There will also be gymnastics on horseback, and you can have a go at archery, enjoy the bouncy castle and lots more too,” she added.
Other attractions will include a fire performance, costume parade, and musical dog display.
Hot and cold food and drinks will also be available on the day. The centre will also be selling acoholic beverages.
Admission is £5 for adults and £3.50 for children and OAPs.
Gates will open at 10.30am, with the event getting underway at 11.15am, and ending at 3pm.
To book a stall, or for more information, contact Terena on 01754 830286 or 07899 815960.
Alternatively go to www.northcotehorses.com.
- UPDATED: Suspected ‘armed robbery’ with ‘gun’ sparks police ‘firearms response’ at The Money Shop in Skegness
- UPDATE: Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with attempted ‘armed robbery’ in Skegness, man searched in Lidl is NOT connected to the crime police confirm
- UPDATE: Business owner heard someone thought to be ‘robbing’ the Money Shop in Skegness
- Man caught staring at female dog walker while he performed ‘indecent act’ in Skegness
- Man arrested and interviewed in connection with attempted robbery in Skegness
- NHS urges norovirus sufferers to stay away from Skegness Hospital
- ‘Kitchen knife’ found in Butlins bar after alleged ‘attack’
- Skegness Scooter Rally leaves town buzzing
- Nottinghamshire sexsomniac cleared of raping 21-year-old at Butlin’s, Ingoldmells, in one of the first cases of its kind
- Teachers’ union accuses Skegness Grammar School of financial mismanagement
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Skegness
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 20 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 12 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east