Village News: The Toyntons
FRIENDSHIP CLUB - Toynton Friendship club met recently in Toynton Village Hall.
The club’s leader Mrs Pam Barley told members that the annual Christmas lunch would take place at The Coach House at Keal Cotes on December 4.
The Christmas party will be on Tuesday, December 11 at the Village Hall.
Mrs Barley was sad to announce the news that stalwart member, Maurice Boutelli, has now moved to St Neots, Cambridgeshire.
He will be greatly missed and everyone wished him well in his new home.
The speaker of the afternoon was Mr Ron Spencer (known as Tony) from Swineshead.
Mr Spencer explained that he had been in the bakery/confectionary trade since leaving school, aged 14.
By the age of eighteen he was teaching students the ‘tricks of the trade’ at Nottingham College.
Discussion took place about rationing of sugar during the war, and he said wedding cakes were iced with an Italian ‘meringue’, which was very effective but used less sugar than traditional royal icing.
Tony specialises in making marzipan animals and memmbers were spellbound by how quickly he produced them. During the hour long presentation, he made twenty different items ranging from cats to teddy bears.
He finished off each figure by dipping the bases in chocolate, which makes a lovely finishing touch.
Members were thrilled to be able to purchase the animals he had made and many said they had been inspired to ‘have a go’ themselves.
The afternoon ended with a bring and buy auction, raffle and tea and biscuits being served. A thoroughly enjoyable evening was had by all.
CHURCH - On Sunday, December 2 at 11am, a service of morning prayer will be held in Toynton All Saints Church.
- UPDATED: Suspected ‘armed robbery’ with ‘gun’ sparks police ‘firearms response’ at The Money Shop in Skegness
- UPDATE: Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with attempted ‘armed robbery’ in Skegness, man searched in Lidl is NOT connected to the crime police confirm
- UPDATE: Business owner heard someone thought to be ‘robbing’ the Money Shop in Skegness
- Man caught staring at female dog walker while he performed ‘indecent act’ in Skegness
- Man arrested and interviewed in connection with attempted robbery in Skegness
- NHS urges norovirus sufferers to stay away from Skegness Hospital
- ‘Kitchen knife’ found in Butlins bar after alleged ‘attack’
- Skegness Scooter Rally leaves town buzzing
- Nottinghamshire sexsomniac cleared of raping 21-year-old at Butlin’s, Ingoldmells, in one of the first cases of its kind
- Teachers’ union accuses Skegness Grammar School of financial mismanagement
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Skegness
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 20 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 12 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North east