Tributes to life-long community servant
A LIFE-LONG community servant has received glowing tributes from colleagues and local dignitaries following his recent death.
Gordon Wilson BEM died at his Addlethorpe home aged 83 on Thursday, May 24, having dedicated most of his life to public service.
He has been described as a ‘pillar of the community’ who bestowed his extensive knowledge and skills to all three tiers of local government, in particular Ingoldmells Parish Council, where he served for almost half a century until his retirement last year.
Ingoldmells Parish Clerk Mike Allen said: “Gordon always put people first before politics and gave full support to all, honestly and without favour - he will be very much missed by us all, but our memories of him will last forever.”
The long-serving councillor, who received a royal British Empire Medal in recognition of his tireless service, also spent 20 years as a member of East Lindsey District Council and nearly as long on Lincolnshire County Council.
His county council successor, Coun Colin Davie said: “Gordon was a lifelong servant of his community and we should remember him with deep gratitude for the service he gave throughout his life.
“As a former county and district councillor he represented his community on both authorities with quiet dedication, but in Ingoldmells and Addlethorpe he will be remembered by generations fondly as a resident and local community leader.
“We will all miss him, for he truly represented a more kind and gentle age in local government when service was more important than party politics.
“His passing marks the end of a remarkable era.”
- UPDATED: Suspected ‘armed robbery’ with ‘gun’ sparks police ‘firearms response’ at The Money Shop in Skegness
- UPDATE: Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with attempted ‘armed robbery’ in Skegness, man searched in Lidl is NOT connected to the crime police confirm
- UPDATE: Business owner heard someone thought to be ‘robbing’ the Money Shop in Skegness
- Man caught staring at female dog walker while he performed ‘indecent act’ in Skegness
- Man arrested and interviewed in connection with attempted robbery in Skegness
- NHS urges norovirus sufferers to stay away from Skegness Hospital
- ‘Kitchen knife’ found in Butlins bar after alleged ‘attack’
- Artists sought for exchange
- Skegness Scooter Rally leaves town buzzing
- Nottinghamshire sexsomniac cleared of raping 21-year-old at Butlin’s, Ingoldmells, in one of the first cases of its kind
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Skegness
Thursday 20 June 2013
Temperature: 12 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: East
Temperature: 12 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: South west