Arlene's garage door tribute to fisherman
JOLLY Fisherman stories have been pouring into the Standard office as we celebrate the mascot's 100th birthday. This week we have heard from a man who has three silver Jolly statues, and we were contacted by a woman in Chapel St Leonards who had an unusual garage door.
THE bar has been raised for the most silver Jolly Fisherman statues owned by one person after former town Mayor Frank Grunnill told us he has three.
A few weeks ago we told you about Alan Birks, 77, of Beacon Way, Skegness, who thought he could have the most statues with two, but Mr Grunnill has topped his claim.
Mr Grunnill, 76, of Skegness, said: "I got one in 1991 when I was Mayor the first time, one in 1994 for 40 years' service to the Boys' Brigade, and another in 2000/01 when I was Mayor again."
Mr Grunnill is well-known in the town after serving 20 years with the town council and for his dedication to Skegness. He was with the Boys' Brigade from the age of nine until he retired as captain when he was 50.
He said: "I've had my statues on my mantlepiece all the time.
"I don't know if anyone else has three."
Arlene Sproson, 64, of Chapel Close, Chapel St Leonards, had a mural of the Jolly Fisherman in his classic pose painted on her garage door by her niece in 1997.
She said: "It's not there now but I kept it for a few years.
"I had been away for a few days and when I got back, my niece had painted the garage door.
"I was shocked when I saw it. If she had asked me I would have said 'no', but she had done such a good job."
Mrs Sproson then had to seek permission from Skegness Town Council because it owns the copyright of the image, and she had to pay 5.
She said people used to stop by her house all the time and take photos of it.
Her niece, Elizabeth Taylor, of Sheffield, was 25 when she did it and has done more murals for others such as Pinocchio and Scooby Doo.
She worked at the Maid Marian Club in Chapel where she also employed her mural skills.
* Do you have more than three silver Jolly statues? Or a unique Jolly Fisherman story? Tell us all your Jolly news! Email the editor firstname.lastname@example.org
- UPDATED: Suspected ‘armed robbery’ with ‘gun’ sparks police ‘firearms response’ at The Money Shop in Skegness
- UPDATE: Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with attempted ‘armed robbery’ in Skegness, man searched in Lidl is NOT connected to the crime police confirm
- UPDATE: Business owner heard someone thought to be ‘robbing’ the Money Shop in Skegness
- Man caught staring at female dog walker while he performed ‘indecent act’ in Skegness
- Man arrested and interviewed in connection with attempted robbery in Skegness
- NHS urges norovirus sufferers to stay away from Skegness Hospital
- ‘Kitchen knife’ found in Butlins bar after alleged ‘attack’
- Artists sought for exchange
- Skegness Scooter Rally leaves town buzzing
- Nottinghamshire sexsomniac cleared of raping 21-year-old at Butlin’s, Ingoldmells, in one of the first cases of its kind
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Skegness
Thursday 20 June 2013
Temperature: 12 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 11 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: West